Secure. Contain. Protect. These are the missions of the SCP Foundation. This site represents the archive of a secret global organisation which has been working since [REDACTED] to protect humanity from the bizarre and malicious things in existence. The world is so much weirder than the X-Files every thought people.
Trying to describe the full majesty of this site is frankly a fool's mission. So, taken from the cornucopia of delight which is the SCP Foundation wiki:
SCP artifacts pose a significant threat to global security. Various agencies from around the world operate to maintain human independence from extra-terrestrial, extra-dimensional, and extra-universal threat. In the past humankind has been at the whim of these bizarre artifacts and similar phenomena, but we have now reached a point in history where we can begin to control and contain these defiances of natural law.
You are now working for the SCP Foundation. You have no need to understand how or why we operate. What you do need to understand is how vital your mission is.
- Observe preternatural phenomena and develop new theories of science based on their observable behaviour.
- Contain potentially dangerous phenomena.
- Develop safety procedures for dealing with all future phenomena.
- Observe, detain, and destroy any one or any thing preventing us from accomplishing the above-stated goals.
This collaborative writing site is perhaps one of the finest examples I can offer that there are huge and incredible ideas that aren't hitting the mainstream. It has grown through the efforts of impassioned and meticulously dedicated admins. It is a testament to the potential rewards of integrity and allowing the principle of your work to dominate it's conception.
It is a dark and paranoiac world, one which demonstrates the need for security levels a thousand times more effectively than the frankly sinister 'Trust the system' dialogue of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ever could. Once you've seen some of these ideas, you wish you could take them out of your head.
I'll let the SCP speak for themselves:
- SCP-529 - Josie. SCP-529 is a small house cat (Felis catus) with grey tabby markings. Parts of the animal to the rear of the end of the ribcage appear to be missing. The body terminates sharply as if sliced in two.
- SCP-1981 - SCP-1981 is a standard Betamax tape. "RONALD REGAN CUT UP WHILE TALKING"(sic) has been handwritten on the adhesive sticker in felt tip pen ... SCP-1981 appears to be a home video recording of former United States President Ronald Reagan delivering his "Evil Empire" speech to the National Association of Evangelicals at Sheraton Twin Towers Hotel, Orlando, FL on 3/8/1983. However, at 1 minute and 10 seconds, the speech begins to deviate heavily, eventually resembling no known speech ever made by Reagan. Beginning at approximately 5 minutes, multiple incisions, lacerations and penetration wounds can be seen being slowly inflicted, though no corresponding source of these wounds is visible. Despite suffering bodily harm that would likely incapacitate an ordinary person, Reagan will continue to deliver his speech until either his vocal cords are severed or the tape degrades to static at 22:34.
- SCP-1026 - Someone You Know. SCP-1026 is an entity that produces a powerful mental effect on any observer who sees it directly. This effect causes the observer to become completely convinced that SCP-1026 is someone who they know and trust.
- SCP-028 - Knowledge. Subjects “entering” SCP-028 are, within three (3) to six (6) seconds, struck by total and complete knowledge of a subject ... [such as]:
- Every phonebook entry for New York City in 1998
- How to redesign the internal combustion engine to run on human blood, using only pre-existing parts. (Note: Full redesign takes four (4) hours, and runs at higher efficiency than gasoline.)
- Location of keys for a Buick LeSabre
- The proper method of care for a mole rat colony
- Origin and history of twelve SCP objects. (Note: The main [EXPUNGED])
- Family history of the Blackthorn family, located in London, England.
- Geological structure of the earth beneath Greenland, including several unknown caves and [EXPUNGED]
It's utterly commendable, frequently baffling, regularly sinister and exactly the kind of thing that I wish I'd set up.